List:       alexandria-dev
Subject:    Re: [gump] Project files in project CVSes?
From:       Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl () zenplex ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 20:16:26

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 14:52, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:12, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > So I think building against HEAD is something that could happen on a
> > weekly basis. Projects could be notified of an impending build, the
> > descriptor could be transfered to the build machine and then the build
> > happens. This would obviously need some work but I call it a reactor and
> > a reactor can have any number of participants. I'm setting on up for
> > Tambora so we can have a reactor that deals with the projects that are
> > of immediate concern to me but the same process, I believe, would work
> > for larger builds. But I feel that the impetus must come from the
> > projects and it has to be easy to participate which is what I'm trying
> > to do with Maven.
>
> Something I would like to see is
>
> * build against head during development
> * prior to release of component flick a switch and build project against
> released versions of all the dependencies (so you can make sure you don't
> have any dependencies on CVS code)

Anything is possible. I'm just trying to work within the Turbine realm
at the moment to see where the process will break down before fully
recommending it for use outside that arena. As the build system is
generated it will be easy to change, and easy to propagate changes to
projects using Maven. Just generate the new build system with the new
features and build away.

I'm currently using the <genjar> task to build a single JAR with
everythign that's required. It's quite fat at the moment, so I would
like to slim it down and alter the JAR so that it has defined entry
points for tasks/operations but the internals will be slightly mangled
so that the versions of tools used in the maven jar don't interfere with
other versions of those tools on the classpath. So hopefully upgrading
will be simple and safe.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> "Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the
> freeness of speech." - Benjamin Franklin
>
> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org