List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    Re: [tbox-l] OpenOffice
From:       "Timothy J. Bogart" <tjb () starbase ! starbaseunix ! org>
Date:       2004-08-12 17:47:24

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Stef Coene wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 01:17, Timothy J. Bogart wrote:
> > Well, AFTER I sent of a request to start an AIX port on OpenOffice.org, I
> > found there there is one already in work, with a proposed merge at version
> > 2.0.
> I got this answer from the AIX port maintainer:
>
> ---------- snip
> Currently this port is dead.  The major problem is that the port
> requires gcc 3.4 and this is not incredibly stable yet.  Also there is
> some problems with gcc compiling the relocatable icu.  There is plenty
> of help on the ICU list if you want to build this under gcc and do a
> complete test.  Once this has been solved then the port can progress
> more.
>
> Note: that it would be next to impossible to build with xlC.
> h xlC.
>
> I don't have the time right now to try it myself.
>
> If I have an update on this port, I will post it on this list.

At the risk of being argumentative, there were 3 patches in Jun and 2 in
July, some of which say they address the use of gcc 3.3, so I have to
ask if this is really current info...?

"I'm a big fan of ignorance based techniques, because humans
have a lot of ignorance, and we want to play our strong suit."
  Eric Lander  New Scientist