List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    Re: [tbox-l] Re: rsync >2GB file from aix 4.3.3 to aix 5.2 fails
From:       David Clissold <cliss () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-05-12 16:32:30

Thanks for the analysis.
I do hope to get rsync updated in the near future; it should happen sometime
later this year.  This is only for AIX 5 (version 5.*) however, which already
works with large files.  You are correct that our rsync build enabled large
file support (via CFLAGS=-D_LARGE_FILES).
No further rpm images are being built for 4.3.3, as that level of AIX is
no longer officially in service.

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 06:40:47PM -0400, Michael Wang wrote:
> The environment:
> sshd on aix 5.2 using current IBM package
> ssh  on aix 4.3.3 using current IBM package
> rysnc on aix 5.2 and 4.3.3 using current IBM package
> (See reference [1] for the location of the packages I used)
>
> The problem:
> aix433$ rsync -av --rsh=ssh greater_than_2gb_file user@aix52:/some/where
> fails.
>
> Other info:
> aix52$ rsync -av --rsh=ssh greater_than_2gb_file user@solaris_9:/some/where
> works. This means rsync itself is indeed large file enabled.
>
> The clue:
> Internet search (Ref [2]) indicates that rsync uses mkstemp() call.
> aix433 does not have the 64bit mkstemp() function, therefore it
> fails. The same post indicates not to use mkstemp(), and
> mentioned "Poor AIX users/programmers" in a public forum.
>
> I would suggest making a new package using the updated version of
> rsync. The updated version of rsync may already uses the workaround
> of not using mkstemp(). A better solution would be supply the
> 64bit mkstemp() in libc as an AIX 4.3.3 patch. My maintenance level
> for aix 4.3.3 is 11 (the latest).
>
> This clue is for reference only. I am not positive it is correct.
>
> Reference:
>
> [1]
> 5.2/4.3 SSL and 4.3 SSH download:
> https://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/aixtbx/aixtbx-i?S_PKG=dlaixww&S_TACT=&S_CMP=
>
> 5.2 SSH download:
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/opensshi
>
> rysnc on aix 5.2 and 4.3.3 using current IBM package
> (http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html)
>
> [2]
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-February/005244.html
>
> --