List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    Re: [tbox-l] vsftpd and AIX 4.3
From:       David Clissold <cliss () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-02-11 21:15:34

Other ftp server & client utilities build pretty easily on AIX, so I'd
guess vsftpd ought to as well (though have not tried it myself; maybe
someone else out there on the list has).

It's the first I've heard it requested for the Toolbox, so I've now made
a record of the request.  I think there's not a very good probability of
including it, however:  In addition to the default AIX ftp, the Toolbox already
has both wu-ftpd and proftpd as alternatives -- plus the AIX Download
Pack provides OpenSSH for AIX, which includes "sftp-server" and sftp as
yet another alternative.  That option may be the closest to matching what
you want from vsftpd.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:28:30PM -0500, Paul Genest wrote:
> vsftpd is a replacement for ftpd on Linux that is well known since it is
> included in RedHat distributions and even recommended by IBM in a document
> entitled "Securing Linux Servers for Service Providers".
>
> However, it is not available in the Toolbox.
>
> Is it a simple question of selection or is there a known issue that
> prevents it from being acceptable for AIX.
>
> If someone has been using it, I would like to know if there have been any
> problems with it. Also, if there is a binary available, I would very much
> like to get a location I can get it from.
>
> Thanks,

David Clissold
cliss@austin.ibm.com