List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    Re: [tbox-l] spec files?
From:       David Clissold <cliss () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-02-28 17:17:25

I know what you mean, but... of course, tricking the lawyers is not an option.
I can't publicly comment on the legal process itself, but I have no problem
with stating *why* a package hasn't been updated (though I realize it is almost
always the same answer).

Thanks for your comments.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:28:04AM +0100, Remco Post wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:06:57 -0600
> David Clissold <cliss@austin.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Trey,
> >   Thanks for the offer; I appreciate it.
> > For this particular case, though, we already have a working perl-5.8.0
> > spec file and RPM image.  As with most packages that are not at latest
> > levels, however, it is awaiting distribution approval from the legal dept.
> > We have not been permitted to publish future-version spec files while
> > awaiting legal clearance for the corresponding images (this was a question
> > that had come up earlier).
> >

> All lawyer should be shot :)
>
> Really...
>
> Couldn't you trick the layers in telling them 5.8 is just a patchlevel over
> 5.6? Patchlevels go with less testing and maybe less hassle, off course
> you'd still ship a full RPM, that's one of the disadvantages of RPM....
>
> Maybe define it as a maintenance release? So more testing.... I don't beleve
> eg. Tivoli Storage Manager releases are on hold for this long by legal, they
> can't be...
>
> I think it's bazurk that IBM now ships, eg, an openssl release with know
> shortcomings, a new patch release would have been out the second it was
> fixed if this was part of the OS, no guarantees, but for the rpm fix, half a
> legal department has to sleep it over for a fortnight before the fix is
> out...
>

> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>
> Remco Post
>
> SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
> High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
>
> "I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
> industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
> didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams

David Clissold
cliss@austin.ibm.com