List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    [tbox-l] Additions: Eterm, gaim, squid
From:       Marc Stephenson <marc () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-06-22 19:20:11

Howdy,
    We've made three additions to the AIX Toolbox available from the ftp
site today:

Eterm             0.8.10   An xterm replacement for Enlightenment users.
Eterm-backgrounds 0.8.10   Backgrounds for Eterm
gaim              0.11.0pre13 A GTK+ clone of the AOL Instant Messenger client.
squid             2.4.STABLE1 The Squid proxy caching server.

More info:
Eterm is a color vt102 terminal emulator with enhanced graphical
capabilities.  Eterm is intended to be a replacement for xterm for
Enlightenment window manager users, but it can also be used as a
replacement for xterm by users without Enlightenment.  Eterm supports
various themes and is very configurable, in keeping with the
philosophy of Enlightenment. If you install Eterm, you'll also need to
have the Imlib library installed.

Squid is a high-performance proxy caching server for web clients,
supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data objects. Unlike traditional
caching software, Squid handles all requests in a single,
non-blocking, I/O-driven process. Squid keeps meta data and especially
hot objects cached in RAM, caches DNS lookups, supports non-blocking
DNS lookups, and implements negative caching of failed requests.
Squid consists of a main server program squid, a Domain Name System
lookup program (dnsserver), a program for retrieving FTP data
(ftpget), and some management and client tools.

Gaim is a clone of America Online's Instant Messenger client. It
features nearly all of the functionality of the official AIM client
while also being smaller and faster (or so we hope!), commercial free,
and maybe even tossing in the extra nifty feature here and there.

Problems:
We have noticed that chats between Gaim and AOL users are not honored, though
chats among Gaim users do work.  Instant messaging to/from AOL works fine.
The plugins do not seem to be working.

For most systems attempted, Eterm worked as expected.  On two systems that
we played with, Eterm did not produce the expected background, though we
do not know why.

We don't have gigafarms of disks to try out squid, but it was performing
the expected caching functions in our limited testing.

Binary RPMS:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/Eterm/Eterm-0.8.10-4.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
 ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/Eterm/Eterm-backgrounds-0.8.10-4.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
 ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/squid/squid-2.4.STABLE1-1.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
 ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/gaim/gaim-0.11.0pre13-1.aix4.3.ppc.rpm

--
Marc Stephenson		                          IBM Server Group - Austin, TX
Internet:  marc@austin.ibm.com                          NOTES: marcs@us.ibm.com