List:       aixtoolbox-list
Subject:    Re: [tbox-l] clarification
From:       Marc Stephenson <marc () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-06-08 12:07:04

If you're not the sysadmin, then you don't have write access to the parts
of the system where the system would be installed.

There is one alternative, though I'm not sure how well it would work for
gcc.  If you don't have write access, then you can restore an RPM locally
using rpm2cpio:

   rpm2cpio [RPMpkg] | /opt/freeware/bin/cpio -idm

If the cpio RPM is not installed, then you would be out of luck or else you
need to download some tar version of cpio, which I would guess that you could
get from the UCLA AIX freeware site.  Then again, maybe you don't even have
rpm installed, in which case you would simply be out of luck using the Toolbox
contents at all.

The reason that this might not work so well for gcc is because it would
need to be configured to know where its libraries were, though I believe that
you would be able to specify that on the command line.

Marc

> Hi,
>   What you are seeing is normal -- only the system administrator (root)
> can manage what software is installed on the system.  Though the
> install commands may differ, you will find that this is true for
> any Unix-like system.  You should make the request to your system
> administrator to have rpm.rte installed along with any other
> rpm's you would like.  If they agree, then you're set.
> If you don't know who the administrator is, try sending
> email to root from your account on that system.
> You can't do the installp from your regular user account.
>

> > Hi All,
> >        I am new to this list and AIX, I have some
> > doubt
> > I am triying to install gcc on my AIX machine as a
> > *user*, I don't have root access and I downloaded the
> > package gcc-2_9_aix43_010216-1_aix4_3_ppc and rpm.rte
> > I am triying to install rpm tool using installp it is
> > telling execute permission denied, in that install
> > instruction it has mentioned root permission is
> > required, is it possible to install gcc as user in aix
> > machine, also I want to make sure what I am trting to
> > do is currect or not, pls someone clarify me.
> >

> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Bala.

Marc Stephenson		                          IBM Server Group - Austin, TX
Internet:  marc@austin.ibm.com                          NOTES: marcs@us.ibm.com
Phone:   512-327-5670                                              T/L 678-3189