List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: 10/100Mb Nic cards
From:       Matt Lawrence <matt () TECHNORONIN ! COM>
Date:       2000-06-29 18:02:17

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Santimore, Matthew wrote:

> I'm eating crow and admiting I'm not as smart as I think I am.  I've learned
> the
> hard way that AIX is not solaris.  I've got a 7015-R50 with Aix 4.2.1 with
> 2 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet TX MCA Adapters.  So far our guys have only been
> able
> to get one card running at 100mbs half duplex and the other at 10Mbs .
> I'm going to try to get them both running at 100Mbs full duplex.  I've been
> consulting with the network guy and made sure both ports on the switch are
> set to 100mb full duplex. my questions are

Make sure they are lock at 100Mb full-duplex, autonegotiate often has
problems (not always, just often).

> 1. When configuring the adapter in smit. I need to put dix as cable type
> right?

Nope, TP (twisted-pair)

> 2. It should be able to run 100mbs full duplex on both cards right.

Sure, no problem.

Check www.rs6000.ibm.com.  I don't have any docs either.

> 4.  Will I need to reboot this machine in order for changes to take affect?

No.  However, to change the adapter speed the adapter needs to be in the
"detach" state.  Or, if I'm doing it remotely, I often just change the
database definition and reboot.  This assumes that it's easy to arrange a
reboot.

> 5.  Any other advice is appreciated .

Don't get involved in a land war in Asia.  Meat tenderizer is good for
removing bloodstains.

> 6. I plan to do this tonight.

Have fun.

-- Matt