List:       aix-l
Subject:    A Security Question......
From:       Gary Luther <GLuther () MHESAC ! ORG>
Date:       2000-03-30 21:58:00

We have a machine that we want to create a login for that will allow a user rw access \
to only certain directories other  than his home directory.

 /root

/somedir/-----------+------------+
               |           |              |
        /dirA       /dirB        /dirC

/dirB1--/dirB2------/dirB3-------/dirB4--------/dirB5

etc.    etc.          etc.           etc.            etc.

I want to be able to give them rw access to dirB and all of its subdirectories. \
Another application accesses dirA, dirB, and dirC. I tried playing with group \
permissions and then the application started failing.

My thought is that this is a problem for ACL but I don't have a clue what I am \
talking about or how ACL works. Anybody out there that wants to take a stab at it. \
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks in Advance to any brave soul who responds.

=============================
Rome did not create an empire by having meetings,
they did it by killing all those who oppose them.
=============================
WORK:                      (406) 444-0631
Gary K. Luther, System Administrator
SAF/MHESAC
2500 Broadway
Helena, MT 59602-3104
gluther@safmt.org
HOME:                      (406) 227-2240
3838 Beechnut St. #1
E. Helena, MT 59635
gkluther@operamail.com