List:       aix-l
Subject:    Jobs inside crontable running crazy!
From:       James Lo <lojames () NETVIGATOR ! COM>
Date:       1998-10-30 14:25:22

Dear AIX Expert,

We have just migrated our AIX OS from V3.2.5 to V4.2.1 in compliance to Y2K
issue. It was supposed to be a successful one but some strange things happen
after
we started the system.  Most of the batch job we had to run the report are
scheduled inside the cron table.

The cron table are copied from AIX V3.2.5 and have been re-type again from
scratch via crontab -e as per suggestion from IBM. What strange things happen
is that
some of the batch jobs scheduled are to be run only once a day. It is running
fine in V3.2.5. But when migrated to V4.2.1 (via from scratch installation), it
RUNS TWICE A DAY!!!

I was shocked to see the job running in that way. We had tried to kill the
/usr/cron daemon process (a respawn process) and let it restart again it read
the
corrected crontable. But the situation still exists. Every time it occurs, it
will involve different jobs as well. So there is no consistent pattern as to
what
job will be run next time.

I'm asking AIX expert out there if you can provide me some assistance on this
issue. I'm glad you can directly email to me at :

lojames@netvigator.com (James Lo)

if you have some thoughts or experience or solution to this.

Many thanks to all of you out there.

James