List:       aix-l
Subject:    Dual servers
From:       Westley Annis <westley () BELLSOUTH ! NET>
Date:       1998-04-29 0:15:26

Hi gang,

I currently have an RS/6000 server in our main office with six branch
offices using telnet over ISDN links.

We are about to bring another branch office online that already has an
RS/6000 installed in that office.

I'm not sure yet if the configurations are the same but I have reason to
believe that they will be very similar since they both are running the same
application (Promed - a medical billing database) through a telnet session.

Our goals are:
1) Have each server serve as a back up to the other in case of failure.
 Users can continue work using the server that is still running.
2) Load balance the two servers across the users so that one server is not
over burdened.

Does any one have any thoughts, ideas, links, etc. on where to check on
this?  I really hate the idea of having to rely on the people who supplied
us with the HW/SW since their support is far from the best in the world.

Finally,  can anyone recommend any good reference books on AIX 4.x?  Both
 beginner and advanced.

Thanks,
Westley Annis