List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: what are the following processes...
From:       "Urban A. Haas" <uhaas () URBANTECHNOLOGY ! COM>
Date:       1998-03-26 18:54:18

Daniel Casey wrote:

> I believe it stands for PC-Interface, some sort of DOS
> emulation or translation.

OK. I see some people are confused seeing the posts. I don't exactly
know what "pci" stands for (although I do know the PCI bus mentioned
that is not these daemons), but the daemons you mention have been around
since AIX v2 on the RT, predecessor to the RS/6000. The are for PCs
connecting to AIX with the PCs using the AADU or AIX Access for DOS
Users software. Today is is included for backwards compatability for
anyone still using the AADU software (in DOS) in one of the bos.compat
packages. If you do not have PCs running AADU, I greatly doubt it since
you don't know what these are, you could at the very least de-activate
them. See if anyone notices (PC users running DOS) and then keep them
that way.

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.