List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: Best Practice for Paging spaces - rootvg or not
From:       Mark J Ray <raym () US ! IBM ! COM>
Date:       2012-02-02 14:24:15

The simple answer on how to handle paging is: "Don't do it."

Look at it this way: In any environment -- I don't care HOW much memory you
have installed -- if you're
doing more than a few gigabytes worth of paging, you're in serious trouble.
In fact, what I tell clients with
large memory AIX systems, is that if they see paging to the tune of triple
digits in their vmstats, it requires
investigation.

So how much? Take the size of your non-mirrored rootvg image and start
there. If you need more paging
space than that *because* you're paging, then you need tuning, or
application/database optimization, and
an evaluation of what's causing the paging.

Best Regards,

Mark J. Ray
Infrastructure Architect
AIX Performance