List:       aix-l
Subject:    cachefs
From:       Len Rugen <rugenl () MISSOURI ! EDU>
Date:       2005-07-27 1:33:18

I tried using a nfs mount from a Solaris system for print submission "hotfolders", a \
technique that I hoped to use with InfoPrint AIX to avoid problems of the server \
being down at print job submit time.

We had about 400 directories on a single mount point, InfoPrint checkes each folder \
every 10 seconds, which can't be changed.  Even though we weren't using them yet, \
just having them checked was a severe drain on the system.  Just a df would hang for \
a minute or two on the nfs entry.

These folders would rarely change, even if all print came thru them, it would be \
100's of files per hour, not 1000's.  Most of the traffic is just looking and finding \
nothing.

WOuld this be a candidate for cachefs?  When the print server finds a file, it would \
process it then delete it quickly, not spool it to the printer from the nfs mount.

The recommendation is of course to have the hotfolders on the print server, exported \
to the print submitters, but that doesn't do much for redudancy.  I'm trying to make \
a fairly reliable system of some dated hardware, it's a 4-way H50 driving about 400 \
printers.