List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: GCC Compiler for AIX 5.3
From:       Andrew Elmore <aelmore () INTERWOVEN ! COM>
Date:       2005-06-27 19:23:53

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:30:39PM -0400, Sebastien Roy wrote:
> We have a big problem ;)   No it's not a system crash ...  we do a
> migration to AIX 5.3 ML02 from AIX 5.2ML06 last week and since that the
> gcc compiler don't work anymore.  I try to compile something (apache
> 1.xx , php 4.x and some others GNU Utilities...) and we got always the
> same error...
>
> /usr/include/pthread.h:652: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:655: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:658: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:661: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:664: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:672: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:675: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:678: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:681: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:689: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:693: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/pthread.h:696: error: parse error before '*' token

[...]

> So anyone know what we can do to resolv that problem?

The problem is that IBM changed the header files in such a way that gcc
doesn't like them.  Note that there's a step in the gcc build process
that creates a customized version of headers to work with the particular
OS version on the build machine, which probably isn't AIX 5.3.  Most
likely, the header files in /usr/include are combining badly with gcc's
idea of the corrected version.

You don't say which version of gcc you're using, but a very good bet is
to get the gcc source code and build it yourself; the fixincludes step
will have a fighting chance to Do The Right Thing for 5.3 ML2.

Oh, and let IBM know that you want gcc to work better on AIX.

regards,
Andrew

--
  Andrew Elmore                    Interwoven, Incorporated
  Staff Engineer                   Enterprise Content Management