List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: Reconstructing a damaged NIS MAP
From:       Michael Arndt <M.Arndt () SCIENCE-COMPUTING ! DE>
Date:       2005-06-21 20:47:48

Hello

yes, NIS Maps are constructed via a Makefile ( look at /var/yp ) from their ASCII \
Counterpart (e.g. /etc/passwd, auto.master,/etc/group,...) by a simple make or gmake.
Per GUI you trigger this rebuild via NIM without seeing the technical details.

This will help, if only the binary Databases ( Maps ) are corrupt.
Sometimes restarting NIS already will solve smaller issues.

If your source Files are corrupt, e.g. wrong commas or whitespaces
in netgroups or similar you first have to correct those errors
and then rebuild the binary Maps.
So first check if the entries in your (ASCII) Files are ok.
(Whitespaces and Control Sequences you see e.g. by cat -vte /etc/group)

A last potential issue: The hash Algorithm used to build NIS Maps has some inherent \
limitations. If your problem is triggered by e.g. many users or groups or hosts in a \
netgroup, you first have to split this groups in groups of subgroups, to get unique \
hashes. But this last Issue can hit you only if you have very much users and a big \
site ... I mentioned its just for completeness.

hope this gives first hints where you
can proceed
Micha