List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: FS spanning across multiple disks
From:       "Green, Simon" <Simon.Green () EU ! ALTRIA ! COM>
Date:       2004-07-26 11:38:02

There's no specific disadvantage having an LV on multiple disks.  It can
make administration more complicated, and some tasks may take longer but
that's more a function of he total size of the LV than the number of disks.

There can be performance advantages for direct access: if the LV is on four
disks the you can have up to four concurrent accesses with no disk
contention.  (Read-only, of course, and it depends on what particular data
they want.)

It's important to avoid LV fragmentation.  You don't want the situation
where the first chunk of the LV is on hdisk1, then there's some on hdisk2,
then another chunk on hdisk1 etc.  That can mess up sequential access.  It's
not a likely situation, though.

When you're mirroring with multiple disks, I would recommend creating the
mirror WITHOUT synchronising it at first: only sync it once you've checked
that the partitions are allocated where you want them.

For any mirrored LV that spreads onto more than two disks, (i.e. primary on
one disk, copy on another), I would suggest that you use super-strict
mirroring.  Otherwise, it's possible to get the mirrors into a horrible mess
which can be extremely complicated and time-consuming to sort out.  This is
less likely to happen if you always specify a map file when extending the
LVs, (unless you get the map wrong, of course!).

--
Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.