List:       aix-l
Subject:    Re: RAID & HA
From:       Bruce Zimmer <b.r.zimmer () WORLDNET ! ATT ! NET>
Date:       2002-04-30 18:24:23

The problem comes in that RAID5 does not perform very well without using a
write cache.  Since the write cache is on the RAID Adapter, there would be a
data integrity problem if a machine would fail over while there is still
data in the write cache.  There would be no way to "move" this data out to
its propler location on the disk platters or over to the other RAID
controllers write cache.  Products like the Shark and EMC Symmetrix use
complex interconects so that the disks are utilizing the same cache and if
one controller would fail the other has access to the cache.  Also, when the
docs say that RAID controllers can be used,  Is not plain striping RAID 0,
mirroring RAID 1.  These types of RAID controllers would not have the same
problems if they did not utilize a write cache.  Likewise a RAID 5
controller with write cache disabled would have no problems other than it
would be SLOOOOOOOOOOW.

Bruce Zimmer