List:       aic7xxx
Subject:    Re: IWILL BS100 (AIC7895) don't boot.
From:       "Robert W. Rowe" <rrowe () winstar ! com>
Date:       1999-10-28 21:07:55

You didn't say whether you had a terminator installed, or if your last SCSI
device was properly terminated. You need the end of the SCSI chain terminated.

This controller is very touchy, in my experience. It requires a
high-quality cable, clean connectors of good quality, and good, working
active terminator or proper termination set on the last device in your SCSI
chain. This is usually done with jumpers.

I didn't have much success also until I separated narrow and wide SCSI
devices, putting them on different channels. The narrow devices, a Zip
drive and a SCSI CD-R drive, are on channel B together, with the CD-R drive
terminating the channel. The two wide SCSI disks are on the A channel; the
second of two disks is terminated.

When I disconnect the external SCSI Zip drive, I replace its connector with
an active terminator.