List:       aic7xxx
Subject:    Re: Problems with Redhat 6.0
From:       Doug Ledford <dledford () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-09-15 2:03:42

Rob Kearney wrote:

> I'm running into problems booting with Redhat 6.0...
>
> I have an Adaptec 2940UW, SCSI devices I have...
> 2 harddrives (IBM and Seagate)ID's 0 and 1, Plextor 6XCD-ROM ID:6 and
> Yamaha 4416 CDRW ID:3 ...
> only problem is when I boot,  I get a kernel panic...( snippet from
> panic is below).  If I warm boot from this point, My Adaptec bios comes
> up and only shows my 2 HD's and Plextor CDROM  (IDs: 0,1,6).. The Yamaha
> CDRW is not shown....
> Then... I can boot to Linux.. (incedentally this is how I got to install
> linux also, boot...panic, warm-boot, ok...).
>
> I'm running kernel v2.2.5-15 with a Pentium III 550Mhz processor 256Mb
> Ram
>  3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP card, Soundblaser Live soundCard, my motherboard
> is Multiprocessor capable, but I'm runnint the linux-up version kernel.
>
> Below is the kernel panic, and /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
>
> Is this a problem with the CDRW or my controller??
> Any Help would be appreciated...

The panic is a bug I fixed already.  The CDRW problem is because the kernel in
the Red Hat Linux 6.0 product does probing of all LUNs by default, which
breaks devices that aren't in the LUN blacklist but can't handle probing of
upper LUNs.  That happens to include your CD-RW drive.  The next product won't
make that mistake....

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but