List:       afripv6-discuss
Subject:    Re: [AfrIPv6-Discuss] [rpd] TRANSITIONING quickly to IPv6
From:       JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet () consulintel ! es>
Date:       2018-06-06 8:50:33

One thing I strongly suggest: Do not use migration for IPv6, it confuses people.

Migration is when you move (as an example) from Windows XP to Windows Vista. You \
install a new operating system but the previous one is gone. You don't run them \
simultaneously.

The IETF has defined transition and coexistence mechanisms, NOT migration.

So, comparing with my previous OS example, migrating to IPv6 means removing ALL IPv4 \
(end-to-end) and installing only IPv6.

In general, we don't do that, we deploy IPv6, but we keep (at least in most of the \
"client" devices today), IPv4. Either we use dual-stack or any transition mechanism. \
So, there is a coexistence between both, IPv4 and IPv6.

In the future, yes, maybe we, at some point, start removing IPv4. But this is not a \
wise recommendation for end-users/end-networks.

This is very evident when you train people. They get confused, and also because in \
many languages, both words are not exactly equivalent (as in English seems to be, \
which actually is not ...).

Regards,
Jordi