List:       afripv6-discuss
Subject:    =?windows-1252?Q?Re=3A_=5Bafripv6-discuss=5D_We_call_it_the_=93T?= =?windows-1252?Q?ing=92aTing=92a=
From:       Nishal Goburdhan <ndg () ieee ! org>
Date:       2013-02-21 14:08:27

On 21 Feb 2013, at 3:26 PM, Hisham Ibrahim <hisham@afrinic.net> wrote:

> > Interesting idea and I think AFRINIC has a program called Tinga-Tinga
> > that aims at that (a tunnelling node currently deployed in South Africa).
> > I guess Hisham and Nishal who are leading that project can tell the
> > list more about it.
>
> As a matter of fact we do,
>
> So some of you may have already heard of AFRINIC's Tinga Tinga project,

this time i guess i should declare:  <with AfriNIC hat>.

what we found was that, in ZA, for example, there were operators setting up tunnels \
after our training sessions, and then not using them because of the latencies \
involved in getting to other local operators.  because the trusted tunnel operators \
were all outside of our region, getting across town meant routing to europe and back. \
which, is obviously just bad form.  so it was imperative to us, that ting'ating'a try \
to solve the latency issue.  we're doing that by limiting who can request a tunnel \
(for now) - and where that tunnel will terminate.

so, if you were in EG, and wrote to AfriNIC asking for a tunnel (to our current ops \
centre in ZA) we'd politely point you to one of the existing tunnelbroker services \
that are closer to your region, or, keep you on hold, while we found a partner in \
your area, so as to minimise your latency to services in your area.  you would *not* \
get a tunnel from EG to ZA.  we'd want you to get the best possible IPv6 \
experience...

that's the essential difference between ting'ating'a and the other tunnel-broker \
services out there.

/hat, and pardon the mail alias.

--n.

(if you're reading this, and you're an operator in central, northern, or west africa \
and want to get involved in helping your region, please send mail to hisham).  \