List:       afripv6-discuss
Subject:    =?windows-1252?Q?Re=3A_=5Bafripv6-discuss=5D_IPv6_rollout=85?=
From:       Andrew Alston <alston.networks () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-07-31 19:55:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Guys,

Ok a bit more info now that I have time to sit down and write, sorry things have been \
rather hectic.

Here is how this came about, and a bit more of the full story.

The university in question was running a network without a real topology, in essence, \
it was a flat network, v4 only, and a massive one at that.  This was causing REAL \
issues, and it was the result of years and years of legacy.    The decision was taken \
that IPv6 would be required, but, simply put, we had to fix the network first.  So \
first step, how do you migrate from a flat network running a single /16 flat, to a \
segmented network, and do it on a live campus environment that has 38 thousand users \
on it every day using the network?  The answer... very very carefully, with a lot of \
planning, and some very careful segment and IP planning.

So, the following decisions were made:

A.) We get rid of NAT in entirety - if we were going to do this, we would do it \
properly, and the dual stack would be on live IPs in identical topology v4 and v6 \
network wide.   B.) We divide the network into a three tier network, core, \
distribution and edge.  C.) Core/Distribution would be routed, would have to be \
scalable, and we'd use SP style protocols to do this. D.) Edge would remain layer 2, \
but we would choose not to span any L2 across distributions.  Since Core/Distribution \
in future will be MPLS enabled, if we need L2 between to points, we can EoMPLS it.

So we did our planning, and discovered (to our horror), that changing the topology, \
eliminating NAT, and rolling out the wireless infrastructure we had planned, we'd \
need a LOT more IPv4 space.  So, we applied and were granted a second /15 PI space \
from AfriNIC.   We then started implementation.

First step:  Pick a network segment - we chose the student residences (not because we \
hate the students, but because we wouldn't break any critical research if it all went \
horribly wrong).  Then, we moved all the student residences between a single \
distribution, our residence distribution.  At this point, Vlan 1 was still spanned to \
the residence distribution, so NOTHING had broken in doing this, all was working.  \
Then, we created a point to point link between that distribution and the core.  On \
the point to point, we put a /30 v4 and a /126 v6.  (Sadly, the gear we are using \
doesn't support either /31 or /127).

Then, we enabled ospf for v4 and ospf3 for v6 across the point to point.  There is a \
slight difference in the topologies at this point because the ospf for v4 was \
configured to ONLY carry the point to point and the loopbacks from the distributions, \
the rest is covered by iBGP, where as in v6, the hardware didn't do ipv6 bgp, so we \
had to do full route distribution of v6 in OSPF3.

Note at this point, we had still had zero downtime.

Then, for each residence between the distribution, we created a vlan, and assigned it \
an IP segment and an IPv6 segment.  To avoid mass routes in our routing tables, these \
segments were all taken out of supernets we had dedicated to each distribution, and \
the supernets were what we pushed into the routing table on both v4 and v6 level.  \
So, the vlans were now created on the distribution, the routing was working.  Fixed \
up the DHCP for v4 as well, so that was in place and ready to go with the correct \
scopes.  (Note, we are using RA for v6 at this point, we haven't gotten around to \
DHCPv6 yet, so most people are still hitting the DNS servers on v4 addresses, since \
we can't push DNS via RA).

Note: Still ZERO downtime to anyone

Then, we took the created vlan's on the distribution, trunked them down to the edge \
switches, waited till after hours, and moved the edge ports into the correct vlan's.  \
(Different vlans for student pcs and wireless aps etc).  The actual move into the \
correct vlans was like, a single command on each switch.  Then simple forced a port \
flap one very port as we went.  The port flap was to force a DHCP reallocation on v4.

Bang, the residences came up on the new topology with v4 and v6 - total downtime to \
the clients - less than 30 seconds.

Then, we did a rinse and repeat job through the various distributions (we're still \
busy doing some of them, 6 outta 11 done so far, and probably around 300 or 400 edge \
switches tagged correctly).

Once we were sure the topology was working, and the IPv6 was working, next step was \
to enable the ipv6 on the proxy servers, so that they could fetch via IPv6.  We did \
this, and instantly saw around 30% of the traffic coming in via v6, primarily google, \
youtube, facebook and akamai.  Note however, at this point the clients were still \
seeing the proxies via v4, though the proxies were fetching via v6.  So next step, \
put in quad-a records for the proxy servers and for the pac file round robin.  \
Suddenly, everyone who had a v6 address was fetching from the proxy servers via v6, \
irrespective of if the proxies were fetching v4 or v6.

Suddenly, we had a situation where 50% of the traffic coming in was via IPv6, and we \
infact peaked at well over 100mbit of IPv6 traffic today coming in off the Internet.  \

Our next steps of course are to migrate the rest of the distributions and edge to the \
new network, and infact in the next 10 minutes we'll be moving another thousand edge \
ports into this.  Once this is done, we'll start looking closely at the server \
infrastructure and how we go about putting the rest of the production servers both \
into the new topology and IPv6 enabling them.  We expect this to be the most \
problematic part, since we know there are certain services which have issues with \
IPv6, but we'll work around those when we get there.

In summary - it is entirely possible to take a network with around 15 thousand wired \
network points, a few hundred wireless access points, a few thousand VOIP phones and \
completely redeploy it both on a v4 and a v6 level with almost no downtime if the \
planning is correct.  The traffic levels also prove, there is IPv6 content out there, \
lots of it, and we're happy to use it!  It just takes some planning, some forethought \
and some people willing to work really hard at strange hours getting it done.

For interests sake, graphs can be seen here:

http://graphs.tenet.ac.za/iris/browser/browse?username=UFS&selectedmnemonicgroup=TSN81

The graph marked vl1081 is the IPv4 interface to TENET (The South African NREN), the \
graph marked vl3081 is the IPv4 interface to TENET.  We specifically asked them to \
provide v4 and v6 on separate interfaces as it did allow for us to see the traffic on \
a more individual basis as well, which was useful.

Hope this answers some of the questions I have been sent off list and provides hope \
for those who believe that IPv6 migration is impossible - never forget - we did it on \
both v4 and v6 *at the same time*, on a live network, with no downtime, so if anyone \
doubts it can be done, we're proof that it can.

Thanks

Andrew Alston
Network Consultant

NOTE: I write the above as a private individual and private consultant and have \
gained specific permission from my client (The University of the Free State) to relay \
this story.  I would like to say a special thank you to them for allowing me to share \
this with you as well.