List:       afrinic-rpd
Subject:    Re: [rpd] [Community-Discuss]  ARIN without Owen Delong ?
From:       Owen DeLong via RPD <rpd () afrinic ! net>
Date:       2021-07-17 2:02:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 15:19 , Noah <noah@neo.co.tz> wrote:
>
> Owen,
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:56, Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com \
> <mailto:owen@delong.com>> wrote:
> In general, I select clients who are generally ideologically aligned with me.
>
> And what is your so-called Ideology? besides making a living out of consultancy?

That's a complicated question, but I assure you that making a living out of \
consultancy actually isn't part of that ideology. Making a living is a purely \
pragmatic matter. Had I been financially wiser in my youth, I would no longer be \
depending on fees for my services in order to survive. Alas, finance has never been \
my strong suit nor my primary motivator and as a result, I am still working for money \
rather than the other way around.

The best way to understand my ideology as regards number resource policy and how it \
has evolved over the years is to review my public record and my voting record on the \
ARIN AC.

> One exception is Cloud Innovation.
> While I am not ideologically 100% in agreement with them and do not necessarily \
> favor the current state of policy which benefits them
> So you consult for Cloud Innovation yet you are not 100% ideologically in agreement \
> with the very company you consult for????

Yes. Nobody is 100% ideologically in agreement with me, most likely. Many areas where \
I agree with Cloud Innovation. Some areas where I do not. Lu and I are open and \
honest with each other about where we agree and where we disagree and there is no \
expectation inherent in my contract that I will alter my views or express views that \
I don't agree with, so we are able to make it work.

While I don't necessarily like some of the ways in which Lu has gone about utilizing \
the address space he obtained from AFRINIC, a plain text reading of the governing \
documents (CPM, RSA, bylaws) leaves me no choice but to agree that his use is \
compliant with the applicable policies and that his company has acted in good faith \
and compliance with the rules as they are written. I am not personally entirely \
convinced that leasing is either good or bad for the community. However, I am \
convinced that the policies as currently written do not preclude it.

> And when you say "current state of policy benefits them" meaning (Cloud \
> Innovation), what do you exactly mean?

I mean the fact that the policy as written does not preclude leasing and does not \
prohibit (or even limit) out of region use except for registrations issued after the \
beginning of exhaustion phase 1 in the soft landing policy. I would have thought that \
self evident by now.

I am of mixed emotions on both of these issues. I am ambivalent at best on leasing. \
On out of region use, I would love to see a way to address it that didn't come with \
collateral damage that would make the cure worse than the disease, but so far no such \
option has presented itself. The aborted attempt at such a policy some years ago in \
this community provided a pretty substantial review of just how thorny the issue is \
and how rapidly it devolves into corner cases that are difficult to address.

In the end, the community did not come to consensus to adopt such a policy and it was \
withdrawn by the author.

The community has never (to the best of my knowledge) made any effort to even \
consider a policy prohibiting leasing, even in light of recent events. One would \
think that the easiest way for the community to stop leasing, if they truly found it \
so objectionable, would be to prohibit it in policy, yet there is still not so much \
as a policy proposal submitted towards this end.

As such, it sounds to me like a few vociferous people wish to whine about ideology \
while refusing to take action to make the rules actually consistent with their \
supposed views.

At least when I take issue with a policy or other rule or even a proposal, I offer \
concrete alternatives (which admittedly in some cases is to simply claim the status \
quo is superior to the proposed alternative). Such is the case in my reaction to the \
boards Appeal Committee land grab. I offered very concrete suggestions for an \
alternative which could yield a properly independent appellate body.

The issues in this case are not whether I agree with Lu and what he is doing or not. \
The issues are whether or not AFRINIC as a body and the AFRINIC board and staff will \
comply with their own rules as written and as developed by the members and the \
community or whether they are free to run amok and create rules from whole cloth.

It is the importance of following the rules as written where my client Cloud \
Innovation and I are ideologically aligned and what I consider the most important \
aspect of this case. I really had high hopes that AFRINIC would take this more \
seriously when we tried to resolve it amicably before involving the courts, but I \
failed in my attempt to communicate this and alas, egos were bruised, respect was \
lost, and the situation degraded farther than I had ever thought possible.

I will also point out that Cloud Innovation is not my only client in the region and \
my clients are not the only ones potentially harmed by AFRINIC's failure to follow \
its own rules here. Whether you agree with me or not, whether you like what I say or \
not, I have always tried to act in what I believe to be the best interests of the \
community and I will always continue to do so.

Owen