List:       afrinic-rpd
Subject:    Re: [rpd] WE NEED YOUR INPUT, MAXIMUM BY TUESDAY 16TH NOON: Decision of way forward for new
From:       JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd () afrinic ! net>
Date:       2021-02-16 23:01:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Paschal,

I realized there was a typo in your name in the document, so corrected if for the \
last version; sorry about that!

I need to learn what means "Thematic and Hermeneutic" … but seems a very logic \
thing, as without knowing it, I "used it".

I think the lesson here is that:
We can reach consensus (or not) only if we analyze the objections of any proposal in \
a neutral and objective way. This can't be done in a PPM. It is a work that requires \
time, it requires the chairs to come back to the participants, community and authors \
to ensure if the objections are refutable or not. Objections don't need to be \
classified as minor or major or whatever. They are just valid or invalid. If they are \
valid and can't be refuted but is a good trade-off for the overall community, \
sometimes the objectors can still concede and allow the proposal to move forward.

This is why I think the current PDP needs to be updated (and I wrote a policy \
proposal about that) and one of the key points is that it is not correct that the \
decision of the chairs needs to be taken in the PPM, but a few days afterwards, so to \
be able to open a dialogue in open issues and then resolve the question about the \
consensus. It also requires a lot of work to follow the discussion and elaborate a \
continuous "follow-up" of the discussion (for every proposal).

Note that I didn't elaborated the document at the end, instead I was writing it every \
few hours with the inputs received, and drafting some conclusions, which may change \
along the discussion progress. If we had more time for the discussion, then I would \
have asked for clarifications, and this is what I expect from chairs, to follow the \
discussion and ask the confronted opinions for as many clarifications are needed \
during all the discussion, unless those clarifications already happen by the \
discussion itself. Same as asking experts and/or staff when you don't know about a \
topic.

I hope this could be a useful example in the future for the progress of the PDWG.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet