List:       afrinic-rpd
Subject:    [rpd] Let's love words ...
From:       JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd () afrinic ! net>
Date:       2019-06-23 14:35:39

Some time ago I posted in social networks this:

"Let's love words, words do, words take care, words kill, let's be careful with \
words! The words in emails and social networks are more dangerous, but do not be \
afraid of them!"

So allow me some final words for this week meeting.

1) We have a code of conduct that is not being respected by "Benjamin Ledoh" (in \
quotes because it looks it is an alias). There are clear doubts that this person is \
actually another community member, which is co-author of a policy proposal to change \
the PDP. If this is the case, how the community can trust a proposal and support it, \
if he is acting in such *criminal* way against the PDP process and the overall \
community?

I still give him a 50% of doubts that may be he is not the same guy and somebody is \
incriminating him. But if this is the case, he should go to google, policy, or \
whatever, to ask for clarifications, even if neccesary with a court order and prove \
it to the community.

Why the complete AFRINIC community should be shamed and fighting about this guy? How \
come we can support a coward hiding behind an alias and do nothing?

I *urge the board* to investigate the real person behind that email, even with a \
legal claim in the Mauritious courts and then to apply strictly the code of conduct. \
At the moment that email has been indefinitely suspended in the RPD, but this is not \
enough. What about the Community-Discuss list? What about the real person behind \
this? Should the real person behind that email still be able to participate in \
meetings and other mailing list with the real name? Should be also be able to \
participate in the community, or shold be suspended for a few years because this? I'm \
sure bylaws support those actions.

Otherwise, we are telling everyone that wants to attack the other members and the \
system: Please create aliases and feel free to keep creating internal wars.

I *urge the staff* to confirm if the community has a real "Benjamin Ledoh" in the \
meetings or as a contact for members, or whatever. This is not confidential \
information in the sense that he is using public mailing list and may be is a contact \
in the whois.

The PDP and the community are not safe *UNTIL* this issue is cleaned up and resolved.

Despite all what I've said, I think, we all must forgive, *if and only if* the real \
person behind "Benjamin Ledoh" recognizes his mistake and then continues \
participating normally.

2) I always though that *everybody*, including staff, board and chairs, because all \
them are community members, should be able to participate in the policy discussions \
and thus, in the policy meetings and openly express their opinions. They should just \
clearly state "hat off" to allow the community do differentiate their own personal \
view from the position they have.

However, in the policy day this week, I felt shamed when the legal councel stated (if \
I understood correctly, sorry videos and scripts are not available), that I should \
not use references to other RIRs in the policy proposals. I think this is contrary to \
logic and contrary to procedure and the staff or AFRINIC contractors, must know the \
procedures and make sure they don't contradict them, because they are harming the \
community.

Are we afraid of reusing previous experience? Really?

The policy template ask for references, and when you submit a policy proposal, if you \
leave the references empty, one of the first questions from the staff will be "what \
is the status of this in other RIR, can you explain that and have URLs?". And of \
course, in the slides for a policy proposal presentation, you will summarize it as \
well (or we should hide part of the policy proposal in the slides?).

This is understandable because Internet is global, and what is being done in other \
regions, or similar groups (example IETF), is relevant to all of us. Previous \
experience is always good to know.

Nobody is telling that every RIR should follow what others are doing (I clearly \
explained it in my presentations). NOT AT ALL, but we must know it, is just a \
reference. It is not neccesarily the only aspect to consider. Or we don't look \
always, in our personal and profesional life for other previous experiences from \
other organizations or people?

This comment in the microphone only adds to my perception of many of the problems \
that I see within the community, one more negative point about how we are legally \
managing this organization.

I know I will be hate by this, but I'm sorry, I'm not a coward, I'm not an hypocrit: \
I *urge the board* to consider an alternative legal counsel. My general feeling after \
similar situations in different meetings, is that the actual legal counsel is not \
doing a good job. I see in other similar organizations (including RIRs), that the \
meetings are well prepared for all kind of contingenies and situation, and there is \
always plan A, plan B, plan C and even 2-3 more plans. This is not happening here, \
and this is in part, because the legal support is not correct, or at least \
insufficient.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. \
The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named \
above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use \
of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is \
strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the \
intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the \
contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is \
strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the \
original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.