List:       afrinic-rpd
Subject:    Re: [rpd] AFRINIC ELECTIONS
From:       ALAIN AINA <aalain () trstech ! net>
Date:       2016-05-06 9:48:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> On May 4, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston@liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> Alain,
>
> > Board members are also bind by some fiduciary, structural and cultural \
> > restrictions. One accepts to follow them by joining a board.  Otherwise, remain \
> > an active community member and keep all your abilities.
>
> I agree on Fiduciary – as defined by the companies act
> I agree on structural – as defined by the bylaws

I would also add as defined by  "Best practices" and "Good judgments"

> Cultural?  There I have questions.  Which culture? Franco? Anglo? Arab? Portuguese? \
> Or do you refer to the "AfriNIC culture", in which case, who defines this culture? \
> What are its strictures and rules? Is it defined by you? Me? The combined \
> membership base, which would have a majority impact?
> Pray tell, what is this mystery culture and who is responsible for its definitions \
> and the restrictions it places?  Are we not a multi-cultural entity that celebrates \
> its differences to be unique and not bound by such a definition? Do we not welcome \
> members from all faiths, creeds, backgrounds, languages and ethnicities?  And as \
> such should our culture not be constantly evolving as our membership base grows and \
> evolves? Or do we need a culture committee to define this for us?

Every Organisation/Company has its organisational culture, which can be read through \
its vision, mission, values, principles, rules, etc….

Back to AFRINIC the Community and RIR("Regional" Internet Registry), it is composed \
of people and entities from different cultures. The leaders, Directors and Trustees \
are expected to build a workable environment  from this diversity, which suit best \
the region and do their utmost to achieve what section 3 of ICP-2[*] prescribed. \
Doing so, they demonstrate that they know and understand very well the \
responsibilities they carries as well as the restrictions it brings.

We've started some reflexions from the paper below and it may be good to see how it \
can help this discussion. \
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/top-down-bottom-up-what-works-best-which-ecosystem-alain-aina

* https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en \
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en>