List:       afrinic-announce
Subject:    [AFRINIC-announce] Consultation on post NTIA IANA functions oversight mechanism
From:       Adiel Akplogan <adiel () afrinic ! net>
Date:       2014-03-20 18:20:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/alternative)]

— [ *** Apologies for cross-posting *** ] —

Dear colleagues,

On Friday 14 March, the United States Government announced that it intends to \
transition oversight of key Internet functions (including the Internet Assigned \
Numbers Authority or IANA) to the global multi-stakeholder community. It has asked \
ICANN to facilitate, in consultation with the global multi-stakeholder community, the \
development of a proposal for the transition.
Leaders of the I* Internet technical coordination organisations (including AFRINIC), \
met several times and, in line with the Montevideo Statement on the Future of \
Internet Cooperation (October 2013), we agreed on some common principles for an \
evolution such as the one announced by the US Government. Regular participants in \
those meetings, including their affiliated organisations, are noted here: \
http://www.nro.net/news/statement-from-the-i-leaders-coordination-meeting
As an outcome of these discussions, a common position was developed on the following \
points:
- The roles of all Internet registry policy bodies will stay unchanged. These bodies \
continue to hold policy authority for the protocol parameter, number, and name \
spaces, including responsibility to ensure the faithful registry implementation \
according to those policies.
- The IETF, IAB, and RIRs are committed to the role of ICANN as the IANA protocol \
parameter and IP address registry operator.
- ICANN reaffirms its commitment to implement all IANA registry functions in \
accordance with the respective policies. ICANN will also provide affirmations to all \
stakeholders (including governments) that all Internet registry policy bodies and \
ICANN itself will continue to use open and transparent processes.
The full text, agreed upon by the I* leaders, is included at the end of this email.

Separately, ICANN released a timeline that details its expectations of the \
multi-stakeholder consultation process. More information on these plans will \
undoubtedly come out of the upcoming ICANN Meeting in Singapore (23-27 March). The \
timeline document is available here: \
http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/functions-transfer-process-14mar14-en.pdf

While this timeline focuses on ICANN meetings and events, it is clear that this \
process will not take place only in ICANN venues. The five RIR communities are key \
stakeholders in this process, and it is vital that we discuss these issues both \
within our regional communities and globally to ensure that our voices are heard and \
our concerns recognised. The stable, accurate and professional management of the IANA \
functions, including management of the global IP address pool, is fundamental to the \
operation of the Internet. It is important that we not lose sight of this fact as \
management of the IANA evolves to more faithfully reflect the multi-stakeholder \
nature of the Internet community.
AFRINIC urges the African community at all levels to participate to the upcoming \
discussions on the future of the IANA functions. We all want to engage because we \
want the discussions to come up with suggestions and mechanisms that ensure an \
ongoing interoperable stable and yes, secure Internet. These discussions need to take \
into consideration views from all over the world as the services provided by IANA \
touch everyone. The Internet itself has become a tool that we cannot live without \
today and studies demonstrate how embracing ICTs and the Internet can boost economic \
and social development, thus taking us ever closer to a world where Sustainable \
Development Goals can be a reality.
We encourage the African community to join the discussion we are launching on our \
Resource Policy Discussion <rpd@afrinic.net> and AFRICANN <africann@afrinic.net> \
lists and also join us at the next Africa Internet Summit in Djibouti May 25-June 6, \
2014 (africainternetsummit.org) to hear more on a panel that we are organising:  \
"Resiliency and stability of IANA functions: what accountability mechanisms to put in \
place?"
I look forward to further discussion at AIS’14.

Best regards,

Adiel A. Akplogan
CEO AFRINIC

————————————————————————————

Agreed text by the Leaders of I* organisations:

In order to ensure global acceptance and affirmation of ICANN's role as administrator \
of the IANA functions, we are now pursuing the transition of USG's stewardship of the \
IANA functions from the USG to ICANN. The roles of all Internet registry policy \
bodies (such as the RIRs, IAB, IETF, ASO, ccNSO, ccTLD ROs, and gNSO) stay unchanged. \
These bodies continue to hold policy authority for the protocol parameter, number, \
and name spaces, including responsibility to ensure the faithful registry \
implementation according to those policies.
This transition from the USG has been envisaged since the early days of ICANN. It is \
now feasible due to the growing maturity of ICANN and other organisations in the \
Internet ecosystem. ICANN's structures and accountability mechanisms continue to \
evolve and advance guided by the AoC community reviews, including ATRT. In addition, \
ICANN will continue to embrace its aggressive roadmap to truly globalize its \
structures.
In order to operationalize the transition from USG, ICANN will engage with the \
Internet community in a bottom-up public consultation process to ensure appropriate \
accountability mechanisms. In addition, ICANN will work with the names, numbers, and \
protocol communities to formalize relationships, commitments, and mutual \
responsibilities.
When community stakeholders have input about the policies emanating from the names, \
numbers, and protocol communities, they would be directed to pursue their interests \
through the relevant Internet communities (such as the gNSO, ccNSO, ccTLD ROs, ASO, \
IAB, IETF, or the RIRs) and their mechanisms for consideration and potential redress. \
 The IETF, IAB, and RIRs are committed to open and transparent processes. They also \
are committed to the role of ICANN as the IANA protocol parameter and IP address \
registry operator. The accountability mechanisms for ICANN's administration of these \
core internet functions will provide escalation routes that assure the names, \
numbers, and protocol communities that if IANA's performance is lacking, those \
communities can pursue defined processes for improving performance, including \
pre-agreed independent 3rd party arbitration processes.
ICANN reaffirms its commitment to implement all IANA registry functions in accordance \
with the respective policies. ICANN will also provide affirmations to all \
stakeholders (including governments) from all Internet registry policy bodies and \
itself that all of us will use open and transparent processes.
-- end --