List:       afrinic-announce
Subject:    [AFRINIC-announce] USG/NTIA & IANA function's Contract
From:       Adiel Akplogan <adiel () afrinic ! net>
Date:       2014-03-16 16:38:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Dear colleagues,

I would like to inform you that the USG/NTIA has issued a statement yesterday on \
their intent to transition the role played by NTIA in the contract that allows ICANN \
to perform the IANA function: \
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions

ICANN has responded to the announcement with the launch of a Global Multistakeholder \
Accountability process \
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-14mar14-en.htm

At AFRINIC we see this announcement by the USG/NTIA as an important step in the \
globalization of ICANN and the IANA function. We have joined other organisations in \
charge of Internet Technical Coordination in a statement that expressed our support \
to this important move. The join statement is available at: \
http://www.nro.net/news/internet-technical-leaders-welcome-iana-globalization-progress. \

Now the responsibility lies on us from the African community to promptly engage in \
the process that has just been launched so to make sure that the accountability \
framework to be defined as a replacement of USG/NTIA role related to the IANA \
function takes our views and expectations into consideration.

Thanks.

- a.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]