List:       adsm-l
Subject:    Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: How to backup ISILON storage
From:       "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes () FIRSTENERGYCORP ! COM>
Date:       2018-02-08 12:06:49

> I would seriously look into some form of async replication native to ISILON, \
> something like netapp's snapvault, first.

We are just just finishing the first phase of implementing a Isilon NAS, which \
consolidated dozens of Windows servers.  One of the reasons (by no means all of them) \
of going to the NAS was backups and getting out from under TSM.  We setup to use \
Isilon SyncIQ (replication) and SnapIQ (snapshots) for backups. So far it's worked \
very well.  These features cost $$$ in terms of licensing, disk space and network \
bandwidth. Besides getting the money, the snapshots require you to guestimate the \
change rate and retention of your data.  Right-click-restore-previous-version is \
wonderful!

We also have a document management system that has multiple databases with \
corresponding CIFS shares.  Originally the CIFS shares were just Win servers.  We \
used TSM to back it all up.  Again, it hit TSM right at its worst - many millions of \
little files. We were struggling to get 1 good backup of the CIFS shares per day.  \
When the user required 4 backups per day (and other reasons), we converted the whole \
thing to NetApp NAS/SAN and used snapshots and replication for backups and DR.

Rick