List:       adsm-l
Subject:    Re: Notes/email backup and retention
From:       Joe Howell <jhowell_tsm () YAHOO ! COM>
Date:       2003-07-21 1:49:04

This is essentially a legal question; I've been asked the same question and it's always because somebody wants to make sure that our tapes can't be subpoenaed in a lawsuit.  The only way, as Mr. Sims so correctly pointed out, to make sure that the data is erased is by writing binary zeroes to the end of the volume.  Alternately you can degauss the tape but this is not as complete a solution.  Plus you have to reformat the tape after you're through.

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
Columbia, MO