List:       activemq-users
Subject:    Re: Artemis vs AMQ 5.x in production
From:       Justin Bertram <jbertram () apache ! org>
Date:       2022-09-30 19:11:53

Some musings on a Friday afternoon...

In my experience companies choose their software platforms for a myriad of
reasons, some of which are not obvious or intuitive. Without specific
comment from the cloud providers you mentioned we are only able to
speculate about their motivations.

There's no doubt that ActiveMQ "Classic" is very widely used. It's been the
de facto standard Open Source JMS broker since 2007. At the risk of
additional speculation, I think this is why many cloud providers offer
ActiveMQ "Classic" on their platforms.

Generally speaking, there is a mountain of money to be made by cloud
providers from coaxing organizations to move their existing work-loads to
the cloud. I'm sure there are many, many aging deployments of ActiveMQ
"Classic" employing basic JMS use-cases with relatively low message
throughput. It makes sense for a cloud provider to offer the smoothest
migration strategy possible for these kinds of deployments. I can imagine
that cloud providers are looking for the best return on their investment
and asking organizations to move to the cloud *and* to change brokers is a
much higher risk for them no matter what the alternative broker might be.
Getting these organizations to move *any* workload onto their platform is
also a great way to upsell and cross-sell them for even more gains.

In my opinion it is a compelling strategy, but one that speaks more about
finances than the technical merits of either broker.

Justin