List:       activemq-users
Subject:    Re: failed to start ActiveMQ
From:       Tim Bain <tbain () alumni ! duke ! edu>
Date:       2018-03-26 4:17:35

I've submitted https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-6938 to capture
the fact that the broker failed to start due to the missing journal file,
even though ignoreMissingJournalFiles was set to true. Please add any
information to it that you think would be useful.

I think the next workaround is to remove your db.data and db.redo files
(the KahaDB index and recovery files) and try starting the broker. This
should cause it to not know that file 531 is missing, and the index will be
rebuilt based on the content of those journal files that are present.

Sorry you've hit two successive bugs in the course of this work; I'm sure
that's frustrating for you. Hopefully this second workaround will get your
broker back up and running, and hopefully both bug reports I submitted will
get implemented and will avoid this problem for future users.

On the subject of the offline durable subscription cleanup, you'd see an
INFO-level log line saying "Destroying durable subscriber due to
inactivity: ..." if a subscriber were getting removed due to inactivity. If
you've got a subscriber who should be getting removed and you don't see
that log line, I'd suggest grabbing the source code and putting a
breakpoint in org.apache.activemq.broker.region.TopicRegion.doCleanup(), to
see why that subscription is not considered eligible for removal. The code
looks pretty straightforward, so there's nothing obvious that I see that
might cause it to not remove the subscription, so hopefully the debugger
will indicate what the root of the problem is.

Tim