List:       activemq-users
Subject:    Re: Reliably calculate time spent in broker
From:       kristof sajdak <kristof.sajdak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-31 12:30:04

Hi Dejan,

The solution you are proposing is very elegant, however I don't think we can
make it work in our situation.

In our current setup the monitoring/alert software polls an HTTP REST
endpoint on the application, which in turn executes some internal checks and
returns health status information in the form of json. The monitoring
software correlates and interprets this to either open or close the alert.

One of these checks should be whether a message is overdue on a queue.

Given the existing monitoring software and network setup, there is no option
for the application itself to  call out to the monitoring software to
open/close alerts.

Another option would be to use a seperate database to register DLQ enqueue
and dequeue events coming from the advisory queues to keep track of the
overdue mesages, however this particular application doesn't use a database
as it is just mediating an FTP signal to various HTTP endpoints. Bringing in
a database dependency just for tracking the messages feels wrong, my view is
that the AMQ broker itself should provide this info.

I think the plugin is an perfect long term solution, but meanwhile I just
might go for a quick countermeasure employing the exclusive consumer feature
to either have the consumer or the browser accessing the queue seperately.
That way I don't have to worry about dispatched messages not showing up in
the browser thread causing the false negatives.

The consequence is off course that this will only work with a single
consumer.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Kristof