List:       activemq-users
Subject:    Re: Restricting Multicast Discovery
From:       "James Strachan" <james.strachan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-28 11:52:29

On 28/03/2008, carbon60 <adam@sherman.ca> wrote:

>  James.Strachan wrote:
>  >
>  > On 27/03/2008, carbon60 <adam@sherman.ca> wrote:
>  >>  I apologize for asking basic questions! I am trying to configure
>  >> multicast
>  >>  discovery among brokers on an insecure network. Is this possible or a
>  >> good
>  >>  idea?
>  >>
>  >>  I don't know much about multicast, so I don't understand how to restrict
>  >>  which systems get connected.
>  >
>  > You can use different multicast addresses for different groups of
>  > systems; but multicast is insecure; so you probably wanna use security
>  > in the brokers to prevent unwanted connections etc.
>  >

> Is there anything needed at the OS-level to create a multicast group, or can
>  I just invent an address?

Just use any multicast address you like - provided multicast is
enabled you're good to go.

>  Also, I need to at least restrict the multicast broadcasts to a specific
>  network interface, is this possible?

Its up to clients to subscribe to the multicast address; if they don't
subscribe, they won't get the messages. But multicast goes everywhere
- you can't limit it to specific network cards.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration