List:       activemq-dev
Subject:    RE: AMQNET-565: .net standard port
From:       "michael.andre.pearce" <michael.andre.pearce () me ! com ! INVALID>
Date:       2019-04-17 17:21:11

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

If we did a 2.0, as NMS is an equiv of JMS would it be an idea to add equiv JMS 2.0 \
                methods into NMS.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Heiser, Derek" <DHEISER@quad.com> Date: \
17/04/2019  18:10  (GMT+00:00) To: dev@activemq.apache.org Subject: RE: AMQNET-565: \
.net standard port Yeah, I thought about that and am not opposed to it. But typically \
I think of actual API changes in major version changes and, while the supported \
frameworks changed, the underlying api surface did not. I do think moving to 2.x does \
sort of signal to users that 'breaking stuff may have occurred'.I'm up for whatever, \
though.~Derek-----Original Message-----From: Timothy Bish <tabish121@gmail.com> Sent: \
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:02 PMTo: dev@activemq.apache.orgSubject: Re: AMQNET-565: \
.net standard portOn 4/17/19 11:10 AM, Heiser, Derek wrote:> Hello all,>> I wanted to \
try my hand at this feature request: \
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/AMQNET/issues/AMQNET-565?filter=allopenissues \
to port ActiveMQ to .Net Standard. I've started working on a fork here: \
https://github.com/killnine/activemq-nms-api/tree/refactor but wanted some feedback \
from contributors before I sink too much time in.>> The current build (1.7.2) \
supports .net 2.0, 3.5, and 4.0.>> Net standard 2.0, by default, supports back to \
4.6.1. I've looked into supporting multiple target frameworks (for instance, .net \
standard 1.2 supports 4.5.1) but there are some pretty gnarly conflicts (ex: \
System.Transactions, NUnit 3, serialization attributes) between even .net standard \
1.2 and the latest .net standard.>> My   recommendation would be to treat 1.7.2 as \
the legacy package and make this change a 1.8.0 build as a fresh start to support \
4.6.1 and above with netstandard 2.0. I thing we could update the README to explain \
the support for earlier frameworks. I totally understand the need to support older \
platforms, but I think keeping 1.7.2 around and moving forward ensures we aren't \
hamstrung by the very clear direction from Microsoft that Netstandard is the way \
forward.My advice would be to move to v2.0 for the API and any new client releases of \
NMS.ActiveMQ (or other already released NMS clients) as that makes it more clear that \
fundamental changes in supported .NET SDKs are present as well as leaving room for \
breaking API changes etc.> There's other issues I'd like to address with the solution \