List:       acpi4linux
Subject:    Re: [ACPI] Instability without ACPI and quirks
From:       Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb () lidskialf ! net>
Date:       2003-07-12 12:39:39

> I am testing (in my laptop) the first two removing quirks
> quirk_via_acpi
> quirk_vt82c686_acpi
> this two applied are applied to 00:07.4 Apollo Super ACPI
> after 4 days, nothing happens (everything works fine).
> And now I am going for next two
> this are applied to 00:07.5 VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller and 00:07.2
> USB Controller and is the same function in drivers/pci/quirks.c where
> you can read :
>  * Via 686A/B:  The PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE register for the on-chip
>  * devices, USB0/1, AC97, MC97, and ACPI, has an unusual feature:
>  * when written, it makes an internal connection to the PIC.
>  * For these devices, this register is defined to be 4 bits wide.
>  * Normally this is fine.  However for IO-APIC motherboards, or
>  * non-x86 architectures (yes Via exists on PPC among other places),
>  * we must mask the PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE value versus 0xf to get
>  * interrupts delivered properly.
>  *
>  * TODO: When we have device-specific interrupt routers,
>  * quirk_via_irqpic will go away from quirks.

Now that IS interesting. The nvidia/nvidia2 chipset has parts of the hardware
bought from VIA.. e.g. lspci shows that I have a:

00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia
audio [Via VT82C686B] (rev a2)

But the manufacturer's ID is different (set to nvidia), so the quirks will not
be applied. I will try the opposite of you: turning selected appropriate
quirks on.