List:       acpi4linux
Subject:    Is this safe?  Re: [ACPI] Dell DSDT corrected
From:       James D Strandboge <jstrand1 () rochester ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-30 15:45:50

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 13:04, Markus Wiesner wrote:
> Jan Slezak schrieb:
> > I modified my Dell Latitude C640 DSDT table and values in /proc/acpi what were
> > previously constantly zero (or something equivalent) where brought to life.
> > This is:
> >
> > - temperature in thermal zone
> > - processor frequency in performance in processor (processor consumption is
> > still zero, but I belive it is not exposed to ACPI)
> > - all information in battery (except presence/absence what was already working
> > before)
> >
> > The DSDT patch and original DSDT are enclosed I hope it helps someone.
>
> Yes, it does! The patch works without modification for my Inspiron 8200,
> too. Great work!

Well, on my i8200 I had to play with it some.  First I got the dsdt from
/proc/acpi/dsdt:

iasl -d /proc/acpi/dsdt

Then I applied the patch from Jan Slezak.

Then I did:

iasl -tc ./dsdt.dsl

and had errors.  A couple were warning about not returning a value, so I
just had those return (0x0).  What was troubling was I had errors about
a Field accessing outside of the region (don't remember off hand the
exact wording, so I changed:

OperationRegion (FDIS, PCI_Config, 0xF2, 0x02)

to:
OperationRegion (FDIS, PCI_Config, 0xF2, 0x04)

I did this based on info found at:
http://www.cpqlinux.com/acpi-howto.html#fix_broken_dsdt

Everything compiled without errors, and I am trying it out now, but is
this really safe?  I am the first to admit that I don't know what I am
doing with this code.  I don't want to break anything, but desperately
want acpi to work.

Jamie

PS-- Sorry you got this twice Markus-- didn't reply to list the first
time.

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A