List:       acpi4linux
Subject:    Re: [ACPI] Snore: BUG in ide-disk on suspend
From:       "P. Christeas" <p_christ () hol ! gr>
Date:       2003-01-28 18:24:19

> > drivers/ide/ide-disk.c: (around 1557)
> >         printk(KERN_INFO "suspending: %s ", drive->name);
> >         do_idedisk_standby(drive);
> >         drive->blocked = 1;
> >
> > 	BUG_ON (HWGROUP(drive)->handler);
> >
> > AFAIK handler is set whenever an irq is being handled (correct me if I'm
> > wrong). ide irqs are very often on the system and may happen between the
> > actual call to 'ide_do_cmd' (called by do_idedisk_standby) and the
> > "blocked=1" line.
>
> blocked=1 is basically sanity check; not critical.
>
> Userland should not be alive at this point, so
> there should be noone to ask for work to do,
> and when there's no work, there should be no
> interrupts.

noone:  I can thing of 2 already:
1. hw interrupts: Is there a case that a device (even IDE itself, having some
result from previous transaction) will cause a system-land series of
interrupts?
2. That devious 'printk' ! The syslog has to write to the log..

After little more testing, I noticed that the offending IRQ is more probable
if a cdrom is in my drive (secondary IDE bus, when mounted it gets even more
likely).
For some reason[1] 2.5.57 doesn't seem[2] to have that bug.

Thanks.

[1] after a rapid scan through the suspend code, I haven't noticed any changes
since then. However, any unrelated event could cause a disk activity..

[2] 2.5.58 fails at 1st or 2nd (in a single boot) time I attempt to sleep it.
2.5.57 has run for weeks w/o trouble.