List:       acpi4linux
Subject:    [ACPI] kernel panic by bat1 info
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-04-02 16:02:18

I've downloaded the 20020329-2.4.18.diff.gz from sf.net and installed it with
the 2.4.18 marcelo linux kernel. I disabled APM and enabled all ACPI options
in the General Setup section of the menuconfig tool.

ACPI seems to work good on my sony vaio fx501. But if I do the following, I
get a kernel panic:

bash-2.05# cd /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/
bash-2.05# ls
alarm  info  state
bash-2.05# more state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            10670 mW
remaining capacity:      15980 mWh
present voltage:         15060 mV
bash-2.05# more info
Kernel PANIC

You can see a photo of the panic screen under:
http://www.informatik.htw-dresden.de/~s5228/acpi/panic01.jpg

If I do "more info" before "more state" I do not get a panic. But if I do
"more info" -> "more state" -> "more info" -> PANIC!

Before the kernel crashes the info file's content is printed to stdout.

The good thing is, that I can reproduce the bug ;-)

What kind of information do you need so that you can hopefully fix the bug?

Some facts about my laptop:

Sony Vaio PCG-FX501
AMD Duron 1GHz with PowerNow
256 MB RAM
no PCMCIA, USB, COM, Parallel or other devices are connected

Steinchen
--
http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,