List:       acpi4linux
Subject:    Re: [Acpi] Patch for ACPI modules
From:       Patrick Mochel <mochelp () infinity ! powertie ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 15:33:48

Hi there,

> > I tried to compile the complete ACPI support as module and would like
> > to post my resulting patch for discussion. Feel free to critize, it's my
> Dumbdidum - no comment please :)

One note about submitting patches - inline them in the message so people
can easily read and comment on them when they hit reply..

Other than that, I don't think what you want to do will work. In order to
come back from sleep, we need a page in low memory. The preferred method
of getting a page in low memory is to use the bootmem allocator. You can
only use the bootmem allocator very early on - before you have the slab
allocator (before you call mem_init).

There are other things that ACPI will need to do that early on (APIC table
parsing, etc) that the user will not have a choice about if they compile
in support (Linux will not run on some systems without proper ACPI
support).

To my knowledge, this is long before any modules can be loaded.

I do think that these things should fall under their own config options,
and especially the latter, be divorced from the interpretor. But, that's
being saved for a rainy day...

	-pat