List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: Inserting hyperlinks in AbiWord
From:       Manish Jain <invalid.pointer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-01 19:46:33

On 08/01/2016 09:54 PM, Palin wrote:
> Hi there, I don't understand your question.
> As far as I know, the workflow to insert an hyper link in Abiword >
> 3.0.0 is this:
>
> * Type the text you want to appear as the link
> * Select this text
> * Choose Insert|Hyperlink
> * In the first box type the link target (url)
> * Optionally, insert a link title
>
> So if you need to insert new text, just type it beforehand (so you
> can, for instance, apply formatting to it) and the make it an
> hyperlink.
>
> I don't know if it's the same workflow for older Abiword versions,
> these are sometime shipped with some linux distributions.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Giuseppe Merigo

Thanks so much for responding. I had been thinking that my message to
the user list got trashed somewhere.

 > * Type the text you want to appear as the link
 > * Select this text
 > * Choose Insert|Hyperlink

It is with step2 that we are having a problem. The flow you have
suggested works okay for inserting 1-2 URL's, but quickly turns
problematic when we have to insert many, many hyperlinks. Essentially,
it is the selection and the right-click which make the interface a
serious hurdle when many links have to be inserted.

Can we not change the interface to fetch the title text as well as the
URL from the pop-up dialog box ? That would mean no
selection/right-click, and things would be smooth indeed.