List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: Ubuntu 12.04
From:       James Freer <jessejazza3.uk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-15 18:44:56

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Hubert Figui=E8re <hfiguiere@teaser.fr> wr=
ote:

> On 13/09/13 02:16 PM, Leon Stedman wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu insists on installing Abiword 2.9.2, which probably should not
>> have been let out into the wide world just yet! It crashes after a spell
>> check on the pop-up "Spelling check is complete".

The trouble at present with debian (and debian derivatives) is that
dependencies have changed for Abiword 2.8.6. So 12.04 was packaged
with dev ver 2.9.2. I also found it not worth using... equally
frustrating was finding that LO-writer was buggy too. You can try rtf
editor Ted which isn't buggy but its rtf isn't fully compatible with
other apps I found.

Every so often linux has a 'dip' for a couple of releases but gets
sorted out. So hang on there.... I use Xubuntu and maybe in 13.10
it'll be sorted. At present I am editing in gedit and then using
google docs for formatting. Alternatively if you have a spare machine
you could run an rpm distro or slack distro like Vector that haven't
got the dependency problem. I like Abiword and will just abstain for a
while.

> That's a question for the people doing Ubuntu. Have I already read them
> the riot act about this and all that happened was *shrug*.
>
> I added that to my already long list of Ubuntu dislike.

One minor app problem is not a good reason to complain about the best
distro!. I have tried many distros and still think after seven years
*buntu is best to stay with. Xubuntu has moved forward a lot since
Unity didn't get widespread approval. If your dislikes are that many
choose another distro... but when you choose look at what's 'under the
bonnet'. Package management, repos, and maintenance team. If there is
only one person doing it and they are ill... what happens? Xubuntu
ticks all boxes for me.

james