List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: How can I enable the "Insert Hyperlink" command?
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2009-02-10 1:52:01

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Jeremy Henty wrote:

> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:40:49 +0000
> From: Jeremy Henty <onepoint@starurchin.org>
> To: abiword-user@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: How can I enable the "Insert Hyperlink" command?
>

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:12:42AM -0500, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
>
> > Select some  text or images first. Then  Insert->Hyperlink, or right
> > click->Insert Hyperlink
>
> Darn, how  simple could  it be?  I  wish I'd experimented  more before
> posting.  Thanks for the tip!

It's a fair point, I don't know why I didn't mention it before at least I
don't think I did.  Usability experts complain about "grey doubt" and how
confusing it can be to figure out how to enable an item.

The functionality could have been implemented differently so that the menu
item would never be greyed out and that a dialog appeared and simply used
any selected text to fill in a default value for the link text (which is
roughly what Netscape Composer did/does. OpenOffice.org Write too has a
big fat ugly complicated dialog and if you have any text preselected it
is used to fill in one of the boxes in the dailog).

If I recall correctly the dialog simply copied the behaviour of Microsoft
Word which seemed good enough at the time.  Your question suggests maybe
it would be better to try a different more forgiving and more easily
discoverable behaviour.

Regards

Alan H.