List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: strange behavior
From:       squareyes <squareyes () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2007-01-29 0:55:25

Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, squareyes wrote:
>

>> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:24:48 +1030
>> From: squareyes <squareyes@internode.on.net>
>> To: abiword-user@abisource.com
>> Subject: strange behavior
>>

>> Hi all,
>> I am using Abiword with Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) , but it seems to be
>> behaving in a very strange manner.
>> If I have left a word out, when I place the curser in position to add
>> the missing word, and start typing,
>> it removes the next letter as I type the new word.
>>

> Congratulations on discovering Overwrite mode.  Some people find this
> feature useful but unfortunately many more people wonder the hell is
> happening.

Hi, I sure wondered what was happening,
> Hitting the Insert key will switch between Insert and Overwrite mode
> (INS/OVR in the status bar, in English at least).

Don't know how I did it, have no "insert key" on my keyboard.
> Other word processors behave in almost exactly the same way.
>
> Insert Overwrite FAQ
> http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/FaqWhyIsMyTextOverwrittenAsIType
> a.k.a. why has the cursor gone red.

Checked out the above, but seemed to geared towards Mac, and I don't
want to assign a key, seems I already have one assigned,
that is working as such, just don't know which one it is, getting old
and dumb :-)
I removed Abiword hoping to fix the problem before I joined this mailing
list,
still doing the same thing after re-install . I note the OVR|default in
the status bar,
but still can't change it :-)
> This happens to just about everyone at some point or another.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Alan Horkan
> http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
>
> P.S. Are you related to abiword developer glasseyes?

No relation, only one of me thank god :-)
Many thanks
Take Care
Winton