List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: Error importing file with docbook and Where is docbook usage for Abiword documented?
From:       "sum1_lists () yahoo ! com" <sum1_lists () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-11-11 19:33:11

--- "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> I have abiword-2.4 installed. (I am using NetBSD.) And also have
> abiword
> plugins installed. I have
> /usr/pkg/lib/AbiWord-2.4/plugins/libAbiDocBook.so.
>
> I grepped through all the files (including docs) installed by these
> and
> can't find any reference to docbook (other than in the
> libAbiDocBook.*).
>
> I also quickly scanned through some docs at the abisource website and
>
> found no docs on using it. I also looked in source tree and didn't
> find
> docs (but may have overlooked). I did find emails about it being
> developed. And I read that docbook support was improved during the
> Google
> Summer of Code project (but I don't know if that is in version 2.4).
>
> Where is using docbook with abiword documented?

DocBook files are treated the same way as Word files, WordPerfect
files, etc., so I'm not sure specific documentation is really
necessary.

> I am able to open and close a simple docbook xml document I created.
>
> I have another docbook document I want to edit. It is from an open
> source
> project. When I loaded with abiword without the libAbiDocBook plugin,
>
> abiword opened it fine as plain text.
>
> With the libAbiDocBook plugin, it says: "Error importing file". I
> don't
> see any other output on my xterm (where I started abiword).
>
> Where can I get debugging on why the "Error importing file"?

If you compile from source, you can pass --enable-debug to configure
(in the abiword-plugins directory). This option will allow you to see
all of the parsed tags and let you know where the importer is failing.

> I imagine there may be problems with the xml, but nevertheless, I am
> able
> to process it with openjade to create tex at least.
>
> Here it is:
>
> http://www.reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp-x34u948wq6y45t98y/J.xml
> (504275 bytes and 12268 lines)
>
> The file has:
>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.0//EN"
>
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd"
>                [<!ENTITY mdash "—">]>
>
> and
>
> <book xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
>
> Any advice on editing this document in Abiword would be appreciated.

I took a quick look and it seems that there are a few bugs in the
importer that are preventing it from loading (the importer does not
recognize all valid DocBook).

> By the way, I have a experience with manually editing xml documents
> in vi,
> but I am still learning docbook and hoping I can find an time-saving
> GUI
> to do docbook editing. (I mainly use LyX for document processing, but
>
> haven't figured out how to get it to reliably import and export
> docbook.)

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend using AbiWord as a DocBook editor
simply because a lot of DocBook constructs do not map well into AbiWord
and, as a result, will be lost on export (e.g. <command> and <acronym>).