List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: on second thought
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2006-04-18 13:02:57

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 soaring@surfglobal.net wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:02:32 -0400
> From: soaring@surfglobal.net
> To: abiword-user@abisource.com
> Subject: on second thought
>

> Hi again,
>
> On second thought, I still think AbiWord has some quirky elements, like
> having to save a doc just before closing it,

There is a reason for this.   You should only use .doc for sharing
documents, you should save a master copy in .abw format.

When saving to .doc there is a chance not all information will be
preserved which is why you must confirm it.  I know Microsoft has trained
people to click on these things without reading them or thinking about it
but it is there for a reason.

> even though you've saved it a dozen + times already.

That is kind of annoying but again there could be data loss and you really
shouldn't be using .doc anyway.

> There is an automatic 'save' as you type isn't there?

There is an option to automatically save every five minutes type thingy in
the preferences.

> Think so.  Anyway,  I just closed a document in AbiWord and
> didn't save it AGAIN because it looked all disconnected (pieces of text
> were strewn all over doc in random order - don't know what happened).

This might be some of the data loss I was referring to, you may well have
found a corner case where the formatting may not have convert to .doc
exactly as intended.

--
Alan