List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: PDF export plugin in Windows
From:       Ryan Pavlik <abiryan () ryand ! net>
Date:       2004-08-04 0:26:59

Dom Lachowicz wrote:

>There was a PDF export plugin, independant from Gnome
>Print. I don't want to offend anyone's feelings (and
>don't want to go into any detail), but it was never
>any good.
>
>So we don't ship with the PDF plugin on any of our
>platforms. Of course, you still have options, even on
>Windows.
>
>1) Purchase Adobe Acrobat. It will install a PDF
>printer for you. You can print to PDF files.
>
>2) Download Ghostscript. At least some Windows
>Ghostscript packages do what #1 above does.
>
>3) Use OpenOffice 1.1.x and save as PDF.
>
>Google is probably a good resource for this type of
>problem. The problem isn't specific to AbiWord by any
>means.

*******
I'd like to point out an easier option, probably preferred by Windows
users, that allows you to still use AbiWord.  Visit sf.net and look for
the project "PDFCreator".  It installs a printer driver and some
management software (as well as a preconfigured version of Ghostscript)
that makes PDF printing from any application as simple as printing to a
printer.   There's nothing to configure, just a nice installer to run.
I use it to do some AbiWord QA work, and I think some of the other QA
folk do as well.  You'll probably want to give it a try.

Thanks for using AbiWord!

Ryan
*******