List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: Installation Error message: cannot d/l or locate
From:       "Kenneth J. Davis" <jeremyd () ctc ! net>
Date:       2004-06-05 14:46:34

Flute Aphrael wrote:

> At 05:02 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>

>> Hi Bev,
>>
>> libglib is used by several file importer plugins, such as WordPerfect
>> and OpenOffice filters. Without the dll, you can't use those plugins,
>> but the rest of the program will indeed work just fine.
>>
>> You can download the dll by running the installer, and enabling the the
>> glib option. This will automatically download and install the dll for
>> you.
>

> Marc-
>
> When I run the installer it keeps telling me can't find this file and
> can't d/l that one (usually dictionaries) is there a place you can get
> the additional installation files and download them to your machine
> BEFORE installation?
>
> Flute

The minimal glib files can be downloaded from the sourceforge mirrors,
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/glib-2.2.3.tgz
Or you can visit www.gtk.org or http://www.gimp.org/win32
in particular (though the latter doesn't appear to be working
at the moment, it is where the binaries in the above tarball
are from).  Just unzip and place all the files in the same
directory as AbiWord.exe (not the plugin directory).

The dictionaries are all on sourceforge in the AbiWord project,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/abiword
select the abispell section for a list of dictionary files.
Just download the archived *.hash file and extract with your other
dictionaries, then restart AbiWord and it should be available
for use.   For example, download the Spanish dictionary,
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/abispell-es-ES.i386.tar.gz?download
and extract espanol.hash placing it in (assuming default paths)
C:\Program Files\AbiSuite2\dictionary\

All the installer does is download the above files to a temp directory,
then extract the files to the selected install location.  At present
download before installation will not help as the installer will not
look for them locally, however, you can and should change the base
url to the appropriate sourceforge mirror (or nearer) web server;
When selecting any downloadable dictionaries, a page should appear
during installation for you to manually type in the base URL or
select one from the drop down list.

There is a known bug report regarding glib installation.  We were
going to switch to detecting for DropLine GTK install or any other
GTK/Glib install that sets the proper registry keys, but as they seem
to have discontinued their runtime package I'll need to reexamine
our options.  I would rather not bloat the default setup with
the glib files, but as several users have had issues with it, the
2.2 series will probably just include the necessary dlls within
the installer (and time permitting, a small setup that
downloads the selected components during installation).

If you need further assistance let me know, or for suggestions
about the issue check bugzilla and add a new RFE or add to an
existing one (see the NSIS - Windows installer Meta bug).

Thanks,
Jeremy

(forgive any duplicate that may show up, I keep forgetting to
  adjust my from address before hitting send.)