List:       abiword-user
Subject:    Re: Web front end -- crazy?
From:       Colin Mattoon <cjm2 () lewiston ! com>
Date:       2003-02-13 2:07:40

On 13 Feb 2003 10:24:13 +1100
Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> This really is a hell of work.
>
> What you have to do to recast the abiword graphics class to export
> HTML in a way that keeps a one to one correspondence between text in
> the web browser and pixels within abiword. You also have to rewrite
> or write browser that can continuously update and reflow html
> incrementally in a local document.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin

I'm wrestling with this concept a bit -- could you elaborate what you
meant by "local document?"  This probably sounds stupid, but I was
envisioning Abiword's text entry area displayed in something analogous
to a text entry
field on a web page -- with the "buttons" arrayed above that field
similar to a Cups web interface.  There would need to be some means to
save every few seconds by transmitting to the server, but I wouldn't
have thought there would need to be an actual local document.

If you received a document from some one else, you would upload to the
server via FTP, and if you wanted a local copy as a backup, or to send
as an e-mail attachment, you could download it as well. But normally,
the document would be created, stored, edited and printed on the
server computer in the scenario I envision.

Later,
Colin Mattoon